The city was named after Pierre Le Moyne Diberville, who established the French Colonial outpost called Biloxi in 1699. About three centuries later, Diberville became incorporated and became a city in 1988. You Tube Link
Although they are linked linked by a common heritage and industry, Biloxi and Diberville shared a natural division because of the Back Bay waters which were originally linked by ferries and fishing boats. What is now Diberville was commonly known as North Biloxi.
Diberville didn't acquire its current name until 1927, which began with the dedication of the Diberville Bridge. When the bridge from Biloxi across the Back Back to Central Avenue was completed, commercial businesses began to develop in the area. Merchants and restaurants were drawn to the area called West End which became famous during the period that followed Word War II. When the Back Bay Bridge was constructed in 1973, a renewed surge of interest took place in furthering the proliferation of businesses which brought about the revival of the down town district.
With the increased pursuit of waterfront commercially zoned properties by Casino developers and allied enterprises, brand new ventures and businesses are being established at a rapid rate. Over the past 10 years, Diberville real estate has witnessed the development of more new businesses than any other city on the Mississippi Gulf Coast.